Join MEC for a fun-filled day where you can learn how to save money at home and on the road!
WHAT: Energy Action Day: Healthy Homes and Sustainable Rides
WHEN: Saturday, October 1, 10am-2pm with speakers beginning at 11am
WHERE: Project Living Proof, 917 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64110
Energy Action Day: Healthy Homes and Sustainable Rides is coming up on Saturday, Oct 1, 10am-2pm at Project Living Proof, and we would love to see you there! This event kicks off Energy Efficiency Month (October) and bookends National Drive Electric Week (Sep 23-Oct 2, 2022). It’s a great day to take action in your personal life to start saving money by reducing your energy footprint.
Kansas City’s own Metro Energy Center will reveal the realities of electric cars and energy-saving homes. Enjoy native plant gardens, get to know some electric cars up close and personal, and take a tour of Project Living Proof, a restored historic home. You’ll see how even your fix-er-upper could approach off-grid status and lower your utility bills. Featuring regenerative real-estate rising star Ajia Morris of the Greenline Initiative, this free event will connect you to your best possible sustainable lifestyle. Save energy, and you’ll save money too.
Bonus: Koosharina food truck will be on site with Egyptian street foods!
Because we know you want tangible actions, we’ve got a variety of actions attendees can take while they’re there:
- Sign up for an energy walk-through of your home with Community Action Agency of Greater Kansas City*
- Speak to Kansas City MO’s Health Department about their Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program and sign up for an assessment*.
- Hear two community leaders speak about Environmental Justice, what is happening in Kansas City, and how you can get involved!
- Take away tax credit information to upgrade your home’s efficiency and health or purchase or lease an electric vehicle, new from the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Have fun with a dynamic insulation display and learn more about how air sealing adds comfort to your home with insulation expert Mike O’Connell.
- Interact with electric vehicle experts about what’s available in Kansas City. Take home a list of all-electric and plug-in hybrids that are available today.
- Tour our EV (Electric Vehicle) showcase in the Anita B. Gorman Discovery Center parking lot.
- Get help finding a contractor to improve your building’s efficiency attributes.
- Take home a native plant, straight from MEC’s urban garden.
- Tour our native plantings and water conservation measures.
- Schedule an expert speaker for your next community or member event.
- More to come!
(* participant eligibility for free appointments to access these services is income based)