World leaders are arriving in Glasgow for the COP26 climate summit. here are five major challenges that have to be overcome.
1. Trust: The real challenge facing negotiators at this key conference is the issue of trust, or the lack of it.
2. Credibility: Key to any success in Glasgow has to be the credibility of the host nation.
3. The workload; One of the biggest challenges for this COP is the sheer volume of work.
4. The process itself: The need for consensus from 197 parties, and the legalistic and technical nature of the talks, means there is, in reality, very little room for actual negotiations.
5. The spin: For months, politicians, negotiators and journalists have been arguing over what success at this conference looks like.
By Matt McGrath. Yahoo News. October 31, 2021.
Read article here.